Learning about space can be exciting and confusing. However, parents can help your kids start the discovery of astronomy with cool and simple terms of space that the little ones can understand.
Planet Name for Kids :
One of the most familiar words related to space is “planets”, especially those in our solar system.
- planet – large object that circles around the sun or any other star
- dwarf planet – object that is smaller than a planet, but is round and orbits the sun
- Mercury – the planet in our solar system that’s closest to the sun
- Venus – planet that is similar in size to Earth
- Earth – the planet we live o
- Mars – the fourth planet from our sun sometimes called the Red Planet
- Ceres – a dwarf planet between Mars and Jupiter
- Jupiter – the biggest planet in our solar system
- Saturn – planet surrounded by a system of rings
- Neptune – the planet in our solar system that’s furthest from the sun
- Uranus – planet that rolls rather than spins
- Pluto – a dwarf planet that used to be considered the planet furthest from our sun
Sun, Moon, and Star Vocabulary
Now, explore some of the brightest objects in space with a vocabulary list related to the sun, moons, and stars.
- constellation – group of stars in the sky that form specific patterns from where you see them
- galaxy – large group of stars held together by gravity
- lodestar – a name for the North Star
- Milky Way – the galaxy we live in
- moon – an object that’s natural and moves around a bigger object that’s natural
- nebula – dust or gas cloud you find between stars
- neutron star – star made out of uncharged nucleons, or the parts that make up a nucleus
- shooting star – a meteor
- solar flare – particles and energy that burst from the sun at once
- star – shining gas held in a ball by its own gravity
- Sun – the star in the middle of our solar system
- supernova – bright explosion of a star
- white dwarf – what’s left after a star collapses
When children learn new words about astronomy and space, they start their own journey of discovery! This is a great beginning for your kids’ development in English as well as their curiosity and imagination.
To Learn more about planet names in English for kids you can download the Galaxy Kids app – the best English learning app for kids.